How to maintain and speed up your PC
You can use some very simple trick to speed up your PC. Following few simple steps discussed here to help you maintain your computer, increase your PC speed, and help keep it running smoothly. Here we will discusses those step to use the tools available in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP Service Pack 3 to help make your computer faster, maintain your computer efficiently, and help safeguard your privacy when you're online.
- Keep your PC Spyware and Virus free.Spyware is a one of the main reason to slow down your PC. So remove spyware and help protect your computer from viruses. Spyware not only make your PC slow it also collects your personal information without letting you know and without asking for permission and send it. From the websites you visit to user names and passwords, spyware can put you and your confidential information at risk. In addition to privacy concerns, spyware can hamper your computer's performance. To combat spyware, you might want to consider using the PC safety scan from Windows Live One Care. This scan is a free service that helps check for and remove viruses.Microsoft Security Essentials can help you to protect your PC from Spyware, Viruses and Malware. Download Microsoft Security Essentials for free to help guard your system in the future from viruses, spyware, adware, and other malicious software (also known as malware). Microsoft Security Essentials acts as a spyware removal tool and includes automatic updates to help keep your system protected from emerging threats.The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is another utility that checks computer running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 for infections by specific, prevalent malicious software, including Blaster, Sasser and Mydoom and helps remove any infection found.
- Clean up your disk space deleting unnecessary file.The Disk Cleanup tool helps you to free up space on your hard disk by removing unnecessary file to improve the performance of your computer. The tool identifies files that you can safely delete and then enables you to choose whether you want to delete some or all of the identified files.Disk Cleanup tool will help do following job for you
- Delete temporary Internet files.
- Delete downloaded program files, such as Microsoft ActiveX controls and Java applets.
- Empty the Recycle Bin.
- Remove Windows temporary file such as error reports.
- Delete optional Windows components that you don't use.
- Remove unused restore points and shadow copies from System Restore.
- Disk Fragmentation.
Fragmented file always take more time to load from disk and it slowed down the overall performance of your system. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk as a file is opened (to piece it back together). The response time can be significantly longer.Disk Defragmenter is a Windows utility that consolidates fragmented files and folders on your computer's hard disk so that each occupies adjacent disk block on the disk. With your files stored neatly end to end, without fragmentation, reading and writing to the disk speeds up.When to run Disk Defragmenter.Every week you should run Disk Defragmenter at least once. There is some special situation when you can defragment instantly like large number of file copied to hard disk.Disk cleanup and Defragmentation is help your PC to speed up and it is proven.
- Don't make your hard disk full.
You should keep some free space in your hard disk and it help to speed up your PC. You should keep more than 40% free space in your widow’s installation drive (Normally C drive where operating system installed). You also keep your at least 15% free in other drive. It is also wiser to keep less number of file in a single folder (It is useful when the number of file more than thousands in a single folder). In such case make subfolder is wise solution.
- Repair Disk error.
Disk error is another issue to make your PC slow. Running Scan Disk often solve your disk error by marking bad sector on disk. It also secured your file from damage.If you use your computer daily, you should run this utility once a week to help prevent data loss.
Learn about ReadyBoostIf you're using Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you can use ReadyBoost to speed up your system. A new concept in adding memory to a system, it allows you to use non-volatile flash memory—like a USB flash drive or a memory card—to improve performance without having to add additional memory.
Clean up windows registry.Unnecessary windows registry slows down your PC. Installing new software adding new entry in windows registry but some time it does not clean up when it uninstalled. Therefore rapidly installing and uninstalling keep some unnecessary registry entry in windows registry, which slow down the PC. So clean up unnecessary windows registry help the PC work faster. By windows tool RegEdit, you can delete unnecessary registry item. But it is very sophisticated area, if you delete wrong entry can harm your existing installed software and also can corrupt your operating system. So you should not delete any registry item if you don’t have enough knowledge on windows registry.To clean up your unnecessary windows registry item you can use some registry cleaner tool. You can find number of registry cleaner utility on net. Use that tool. It is safer and effective to clean up windows registry.Follow this some simple step discussed above to keep your PC faster.